Saturday, May 8, 2010

Happy Mother's Day


Happy Mother's Day to all mothers,
and let me speak for all sons when I say we
thank you for our lives.. I am a student of
history and I'll bet a lot of people don't know
how Mother's Day came to be.. During the
War Between the States (Civil War) it was
usually up to the women to comb the battlefields
and tend to the wounded. It was also primarily
a woman's job to prepare the dead for burial. In
1870 pacifist Julia Ward was an early advocate of
celebrating the work of Mothers. In 1910 Sonora
Smart Dodd thought up the idea of a national
holiday after hearing a church sermon commending
mothers. By 1912 Anna Jarvis copyrighted the phrase
"Mother's Day" in a tribute to the passing of her
mother. Just two years later President Woodrow
Wilson signed a proclamation making Mother's Day
a national holiday, coming on the second Sunday in
May each year. I lost my mother at a very early age
and have always been jealous of adults who still have a
mother. My wife is the mother of our family and she
knows that I will usually go all out to show her my love
and appreciation.. Again,.. Happy Mother's Day !!

No comments:

Post a Comment