Saturday, May 10, 2014

Happy Mother's Day...



      I have written some of this in past Mother's Day postings,..but it is the same feelings I get each year at this time, so please forgive me if you have heard this story before.
    I am a war baby, having been born in 1942 before my Dad was called to the Army in World War II. He joined six of my uncles in the war against Germany, Italy, and Japan. All returned home safely and lived full lives. I wish the same could be said of my mother.
     This is a photo of my Mom and Dad, taken shortly after his return from the war. He was six feet four inches tall and looking a little gaunt from army chow. My Dad lived until 1968 and was a single parent father to me.... but this story deals with my Mom.
      She came from a family of six brothers and one sister, and they all agree, she was the flower of the family. A quick smile and a jovial personality defined Ann Stone. The above photo was taken in 1945 while my Dad was still in the Army and fighting in the Pacific front (he was involved in the invasion of Okinawa). Mom worked two jobs to keep the family going in his absence. My older brother worked while in high school and my sister was responsible for keeping the house in order while Mom was gone. I lived with my grandmother until time to start school. (Notice I am a Dallas Cowboy fan already)
      This photo was taken at the Dallas Morning News accounting department. She was a secretary for the newspaper. During the war years she worked in the office of Borden's Dairies on Ross Avenue in Dallas and at night she worked at Tempco, one of the aircraft assembly plants in Grand Prairie. She proudly told others she was a 'Rosie the Riveter.'
     She died in the Spring of 1954 when I was eleven years old. It was the saddest day of my life. Sometimes when others talk about problems with their parents I want to chew their heads off. They don't realize how lucky they are to still have their parents around. If your Mom is still alive, go visit or at least give her a call. She will never be too tired to hear from you.
  Happy Mother's Day Mom... I miss you!
                                                                     Ann Stone
                                              1913-1954



 

No comments:

Post a Comment