Monday, July 21, 2014

Sunday Cookout with Family



 With all of our children grown and moved away, Momma and I have to make our plans on the run and day to day. No more Jimi has soccer practice on Thursday and Laura has Campfire Girls Saturday morning.
  We woke up on Sunday and discovered a beautiful day in the making over North Texas (Thank You Lord).
   This will give you an idea of just how perfect it was. Temperatures in the upper 70's with a forecast of just a tad warmer later in the day. We called up our two daughters who live locally and invited them to bring their families to Granny and PaPa's house for hamburgers and hot dogs that afternoon.
  
   I cleaned up the grill for the first time this summer and put down a couple layers of 'hickory' charcoal by Kingsford. It was the first time I had used the hickory stuff and it does add a new flavor to the burgers.
   The dogs, peppers, and onions all rate the top shelf, while my charcoal starts to gain that special glow in anticipation of the hamburger patties. I could tell you the Miller Lite is for garnishing the patties, but I'll admit it, it was to keep me hydrated during the cooking process. Looking back on the event, I must say it did a pretty good job.
     The two daughters were suppose to assist Momma and have all the condiments ready for the burgers, but they got sidetracked when exposed to Granny's peach cobbler. In their defense, it was most delicious and now I know why the old girl guards her secret recipe for it.
    We used to get all four of the grandkids on one couch, but no longer. They are really growing up before our very eyes. It is good to have these type get-togethers so we don't lose that family touch. Everyone got filled up and Granny and I came out the real winners by seeing everyone laughing and eating. Thanks to the daughters for sharing their kids with us. It made a beautiful day even better!



No comments:

Post a Comment