Sunday, September 7, 2014

Harley-Davidson Demo Rides




       Texoma Harley-Davidson had the national demo truck in town last Friday and Saturday, along with other activities like patch sewing, stunt riders, live entertainment, and bar-b-que sandwiches from Ringtail (always great) Bar-B-Que.
     The national truck travels from dealership to dealership to allow potential buyers the opportunity to 'try it before you buy it', or in my case, to ride as many new models as possible.
     The driver of this rig has a pretty nice gig...He sleeps in a motel each night, and the employees of each dealership handle all the physical labor chores. He straps and unstraps each of the different models and store employees roll the bikes into and out of the trailer. Needless to say, there is a long list of truck drivers wanting this position.
       The small orange stickers indicate what models were available for demonstration rides. I have owned over half-a-dozen Harleys over the years, but currently have a Honda Shadow in my garage. (Don't tell my doctor!) In 2009 I had a stroke and my doctor told me to give up riding. Easier said than done.
       To ride one of the demo bikes you had to show a motorcycle license and sign a waiver for insurance purposes. The route selected for riders was a combination of highway and small roads over a ten mile stretch to allow riders to get a good feel for the bike.
      I have owned a Nightrain and a Softail Custom in the past, so I requested a Softail model for my first ride of the day. This one is a 2015 Softail Slim, and the six-speed transmission combined with the 103 cubic inch engine really gives you an impressive ride. If it were my bike I would remove the floorboards as soon as I got home. I have small feet but had trouble getting to the shifting peg with my left foot because of the floorboards. Others complained about scratching the floorboards on corners, but I had no problem and I lean into corners pretty deep.

     The safety riders were pretty adamant about bunching up or stretching out the line, and we didn't have a single accident either day.
       I also rode this dyna Low Rider and didn't care for it at all. Seemed like the wind blast was funneled right into my face and I had the mid-bike controls. It definitely needed forward controls to get riders feet out in front. I am five foot eight and I can't see a taller rider on this bike. When you are seated in the saddle it is extremely hard to get to the kickstand when it is in the 'up' position. Small problems though.. the bike ran like a scalded dog.
      I rode a Softail Deluxe and really liked the way it handled.. I could see myself taking a long trip on that bike without too much trouble. It had a windshield and saddlebags already installed and that may have influenced my impression of it.
     Thanks to Harley-Davidson for providing the demo bikes. They continue to field a quality product and if I were to be in the market for another bike it would have the HD brand on it.
       The weather cooperated with us for a change. The forecast was for a sixty per cent chance of rain, but it turned out to be just an overcast day with tolerable temperatures. We had a good crowd turn out for the live music, food, stunt riders, and other activities. Thanks to you also.

No comments:

Post a Comment