Thursday, June 14, 2018

License to Carry practice session



After years of putting it off, I have decided to attend the class and get my license to carry a firearm. Admittedly, I have carried a gun on occasion in the past but luckily never was caught. As previous postings here on my blog will attest, I have a pretty good collection of firearms, but for one reason or another I have never applied for a license. That will all come to an end on June 23rd.
    
Today I just wanted to get in some practice as I continue to get acquainted with my newest purchase, a Polish P64 semi-automatic pistol. It is a military surplus pistol that I bought a couple of months back.



    The certification test calls for a series of shots from nine feet, twenty-one feet, and forty-five feet. I decided to start with the longest distance right away. I figured if I can hit something from 45 feet, then the closer distances should not be a problem. Logical, huh? I selected the same target they will use in the certification test (Target #17 by Champion) and sent that puppy strolling all the way out to forty-five feet.



      Every shot in the X, 10, 9, 8 rings is worth 5 points.. In the 7 ring is worth 4 points, and everything else on the green silhouette is 3 points. On the white edges gets you zip points. You need a total of 170 points out of 250 possible to pass the test. Again, all of these shots came from 45 feet or 15 yards away. I realize it looks pretty good, but I am concerned about the constant striking of the left side of the kill zone. I know I could just use Kentucky windage and aim to the right side of the target, but I plan to let my range buddy try the P64 to determine if its me or the pistol. I plan to use my CZ75B on my test anyway.
   While I have you here, let me pass along some info on a new ammunition that I was testing today. I carried my trustee Red Army Standard ammo and also a couple boxes of Fiocchi from Italy. Previously, I have told you how great I think the Red Army ammo is, and again it leaves very little residue for the cleaning process..  But not only is the Fiocchi a dirty ammo; it also gave me four 'failed to feed' issues in the box of fifty.



     As of this writing, I have gone through about 300-350 rounds of Red Army Standard without a single issue. The Fiocchi is 95 grains compared to the 93 grain of Red Army, but I don't think that is the problem. Last week I shot 115 grain ammo by Lawman and it was also dirty, but I didn't have a single FTF issue with it. I have cleaned and shined the feed ramp of the P64 to a high sheen. I think I will stick with the Red Army Standard for all of my 9 X 18 needs.

   In regards to the 'License to Carry'...I have submitted all paperwork the Texas Department of Public Safety has requested. I had my fingerprints taken by the same lady twice within six months. When I updated my Commercial Driving License, I had to have them taken for the 'Hazardous Materials' endorsement on my license. I first submitted my LTC application back in April, so the CHL-100 form is all I need to complete the process. The CHL-100 is the verification by a licensed instructor that I have gone through the classroom instruction and the actual firing test. Wish me luck.

Editors Note:  I passed with flying colors. DPS trooper looked over my shoulder on the firing range and said, "Not bad shooting for an old guy." Scanned and emailed my TLC-100 form as soon as I got home. Should have my license soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment