Sunday, April 14, 2013

Chevrolet Silverado Trucks.... Again !



     You've heard the phrase, 'He comes from good stock?'...meaning the parents were also of high quality. If that also applies to pick-up trucks, then you would have to say that is where I got my start in selecting trucks. My dad drove a Chevrolet pick-up and my brother started out pulling his race cars with a big Chevy one-ton dually. Not counting a Toyota pick-up I had for a short time during a time of desperation, I have owned nothing other than Chevys.
   In my younger years I had my share of Nova's and Impala's in addition to one Corvette, which is another story all by itself. In the 1970's I purchased a Chevrolet El Camino. Not having any confidence in whether I wanted a car or a truck, I chose a combination of the two.
  
    The El Camino was a good start and served me well. Red leather interior was beautiful and it had a three-speed manual transmission on the floor. It lasted me quite a few years with dependable light duty work. 

   A few cars followed but when I needed another truck I turned to the 'Bow-Tie' brand and bought a 1998 Chevrolet Silverado 1500. This is a truck that I truly loved and even now wish I had it back. I needed a dependable new truck to transport me to a job 183 miles away.
   Bear in mind these photos were taken when the white truck was 12 years old and I had purchased it brand new. The family started to voice concern when it had 135,000 miles on it, but I had it serviced regularly and it ran like a new top. I had everything a person could want on it and my only expense was three sets of tires over the dozen years....but one night I took Momma out to eat and we stopped by a dealer 'just to see what he had'... and I ended up coming home with a new truck.
   I should have waited on making the deal on the new truck. I retired shortly after the purchase and the 'new' truck sat in the driveway for long periods of time. The son and daughters used it more than I did, moving furniture from one house to another, or making trips where I did not trust their cars. The problem with this truck was two-fold...it followed a great truck in the white 1998, and this 2009 was as big as a Chinese gun boat. My wife didn't like to drive it since it was wider, taller, and longer than the 1998. Getting in and out was sometimes NOT a lady-like maneuver. Sometimes it sat idle for almost a month. After two years it had only 14,000 miles on it and while having it serviced at the local Chevrolet dealer he made me an offer on it...and I accepted. Naturally as soon as I sold it I had a need for a truck (it never fails). A couple of months went by and I started looking for another pick-up to do errands around town and bring stuff home from Lowe's Home Improvement. I didn't want another big truck, so I shopped around for the same body style as my 1998. Chevrolet made the change in 2007, so I found a 2006 truck with as few miles as I could, and now I am back in the truck business again.

  As you can see, Cosmo has given me his blessings on the truck. The previous owner took fairly good care of it, but I did have to replace an after-market ignition he had on it. It is the same size as the old faithful white truck and so far we like it. Best of all, it is a Chevrolet Silverado...a brand you can trust. As my Dad use to tell my brother and me,.."I would rather push a Chevy than drive a Ford.'


  

No comments:

Post a Comment