Monday, April 29, 2013

Mazda MX-6 LX Edition



   Picking up where I left off ten days ago... April 19, 2013 I told you my 1985 Olds Toronado was destroyed by a hailstorm. The hood and deck lid of that beautiful car looked like the surface of the moon when Mother Nature was finished with it.. The windshield was also cracked in several spots...
...I found a dealership in Dallas that sold Oldsmobiles, but also sold Mazda cars. My wife and I had gone separate ways and I wanted to find something a little more 'sporty.' You guys will know what I mean.
    I had driven a friend's 1989 Mazda coupe and I really liked it. The dealership found the above car for me in Oklahoma City and had it brought to Dallas. Mazda calls it a Fawn color and the interior was leather and velor. It had a 5-speed manual transmission with the bigger 4-cylinder engine so the air conditioner would have no effect on the performance of the car. An after-market vendor came to the dealership and installed the sun roof  and tinted the windows before I took possession of the car.
   The spoiler wing on the trunk really made a good impression on me and was $189 dollars extra. There is a Scot's 3M store locally and they fixed me up with a roll of red vinyl tape one-quarter of an inch wide and it just fit in the molding around the car. Other MX-6 drivers would question me where I got it. Small touch, but I think it sets off the car.
   I also ordered the car with alloy wheels and kept the tires as black as I could with Armor-All.
  Now the bad news...I had it six days and someone ran into the front fender while I was working at the TV station. Naturally, they did NOT stop or come inside to inform me. I had to take the car to a paint and body shop for repair and touch up paint, and it didn't even have 150 miles on it yet.
   The ex-wife had moved 45 miles away and I had to make the trip each weekend to see my daughter (above). We also made a trip to Disney World in Orlando in this car and got excellent gas mileage. I had the MX-6 for two years, but finally got tired of it. The sun roof leaked despite numerous trips to the vendor to fix it, and during one of my frustrated moments I decided to let the Mazda go. I'll tell what came next in a future report..... Stay Tuned !!



No comments:

Post a Comment