Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Walther PPK (James Bond's Gun)





     The mystique of this pistol dates back to the fictional character of British novelist Ian Fleming and his super-secret government agent, James Bond. According to Fleming, an agent with the 00 designation was licensed to kill to accomplish his mission and Bond was Agent 007, and his weapon of choice was the German made Walther PPK.
     I came across mine at a gun show in Tyler, Texas in 1997. It is a 1996 model of the famed pistol in the 380 caliber. At the time the favored model was stainless steel, as seen in the photo on the manual, but I have always preferred the all black look.
     The three holes you see in the target are the only shots ever fired from this pistol, and they were fired at the factory to verify its functionality. I have loaded one of the magazines, but that is as far as I have ever come to shooting it. I am holding this pistol as an investment for the future. I have a good friend who also owns a PPK and he purchased his for around two hundred dollars in the 1960's. I coughed up $325 for this one in 1997 and as of six months ago I was offered $450 for this one.
     Naturally, the ones manufactured in Germany are worth more than the ones made in the USA, but I am quite pleased with the one I own. Interarms Firearms of Virginia has the American rights to this pistol and most of their output is in this caliber. German examples also come in .32 and .22 calibers. During World War II the sidearm issued to German officers was the Luger, but some officers also carried the Walther P-38 as well as the PPK. Because of its small size and concealability, the PPK was an obvious choice of the Gestapo (secret police). 
      Mine is actually a PPKs.. meaning it carries one more bullet than the standard PPK. The magazine holds seven, plus one in the chamber, for a total of eight. In addition to its small size, one of the things I like about Walther pistols is the ability to carry it cocked with the safety on. Should the need arise, you only have to release the safety and it is ready to do business.
      Walther was the first to use part of the magazine as a part of the grip for those with larger hands. Having smaller hands, I have no problem with the size and when women friends ask about pistols, the PPK or a cheaper copy, is always my first recommendation. Walther PPK and P38 are both single action AND double action. A single action pistol forces you to pull back the hammer before the first shot can be fired, but the double action feature allows you to fire the pistol without having to pull back the hammer. After the first round is fired the blow-back feature will automatically cock the pistol and place another round in the chamber. Either way you can carry it with a round in the chamber with the safety on.
    In Europe this particular caliber is commonly called nine millimer, but in the USA it is a 380 automatic. The difference is miniscule, but as I said, this pistol is put away for the future. I might be tempted to sell it when the bids get over $500.... but then what would I say if James Bond stopped by???




    

No comments:

Post a Comment