Monday, November 18, 2013

1940's MG T-Model Sportscar



      Right off the bat let me apologize for any mistakes in this posting... I know very little about sportscars, but I do admire them.
    My wife and I had just had breakfast at a local restaurant, and upon exiting the building....this is what we saw.

      I know it is a MG T-model sportscar...but that is it. Through the 1930's and into the mid 1950's MG manufactured numerous models of the 'T' car. There was a TA..TB..TC..TD..and a TF. Just a quick check with Wikipedia and I would venture this one to be a TD model, meaning it is a late 1940's automobile. It has a 1250cc engine with an overhead valve train, but the non-synchronized transmission means you had to double-clutch it while shifting gears. The TC and the TD were very similar but the TD was made for importing to the United States with left-hand steering, chrome bumpers, and front and rear lights to render it acceptable to the American colonies. 
      The TC model was by far the most popular of all the early MG models as they produced over ten thousand of them. You had to be a hardy individual to possess one of these as they were extremely drafty and cold in the winter. I had a friend in high school that had one and I remember freezing our butts off as it did not have a heater in it. This particular car has been modified with a bench seat as I remember very rudimentary bucket seats in my friends car.
     No electrical motor on this one... If you want the top up, you have to manually build the structure and then stretch the top over it before snapping it into place. I know it sounds pretty archaic but I had a '61 Chevrolet Corvette and it had a folding soft top on it. I simply had to fold it into place and lock it up or down. 
    The MG is credited with starting the sportscar craze in America and soon other car makers would be vying for the almighty dollar. The Italian cars were a lot more streamlined than the British cars and that forced MG to make some changes.

      In 1955 MG introduced the 'A' model...or more commonly known, the MGA. It was a lot more aerodynamic than the T-series cars and was more dependable in its mechanics....BUT it did not have the old sportscar image of the T-models. Another great car fades into the past.



No comments:

Post a Comment