Friday, May 18, 2018

I Love Mr Ford's Model A's




      The Ford Motor Company only made Model A's for three years..1929, 1930, and 1931, but they are the iconic machine for car enthusiast. The four-door and two-door sedans are desired up to a point, but given a choice, who doesn't admit the coupes are the best looking selection of Model A's? I have always admired them since the time I was a small boy tagging along behind my older brother, who was a hot-rodder that became a NHRA National Champion..(see photo on left margin).
     I have always been drawn to Model A's when attending car shows and I thought I would share a few of them via this venue.


     I spotted this beautiful 1930 Model A at a recent car show during the Doc Holliday Celebration in our town. (Doc had a dentist office here before he made the decision to become an outlaw.)
    This Model A is a five-window coupe, as opposed to a three-window version. It is easily determined by counting all but the windshield. The five-window is my all-time favorite also, but I prefer a little chop in the top. This particular coupe has the standard sized top, just as Henry Ford designed it eighty-eight years ago.


    This is the four cylinder engine that powered Model A's from the factory. So long ago, but you still have to admire the ingenuity that went into the design back in those primitive times. No electronic ignition in 1930; that's a magneto on top of the engine to disperse fire to the spark plugs. No fuel pumps in 1930 as a gravity-flow system from the gas tank (inside fire wall) to the carburetor mechanism.

       Here is another five-window coupe parked alongside a four-door sedan. This coupe has a rumble seat out back. Those authentic wire wheels are pretty costly, but exactly as it came from the factory in 1929. No chrome in those days, but red and yellow wheels were the rage back then.


    Fooled You !!  This one is not a Model A but a Chevrolet.. Still, a great looking car and it had the original six cylinder engine that came in it.. You can barely see it in lower right hand corner, but this one had an Oooga horn on it. Some communities have outlawed those horns today, but they were very popular in days bygone.


    This 1929 Model A was so pristine you could almost eat off of it. It also is powered by the original four cylinder engine, but it sure sounded nice when the owner fired it up. Those running boards always remind me of times I would stand on the running board as my brother's Model A would back up in our driveway. Another Oooga horn just below the left headlight.


    This is the interior of the same coupe..He is still working on it. Nothing but the essential instruments on the dash.


    I guess I should have mentioned that Model A's also came as a convertable. This one really stood out with those orange wheels. A real contrast with the yellow and black of the car's paint job. It too is powered by the original four banger engine.


    Could not get lime colored wheels in 1930, but it sure jumps out at you against that basic black. Another five window coupe; this one really a good example of the period. In those days Ford advertised you could get a car in any color you wanted, but only if you wanted black.


If you wanted a pick-up truck, Mister Ford was more than happy to accommodate you. This truck was also extremely clean and the owner (behind the wheel) was only too happy to talk to me about his prize.


He told me that he hand-built the engine himself using simple hand tools and a Ford Motor Company manual. Very basic, but it did the job until 1932 when Ford went to the flathead V8 engine.


      This is a 1927 Model T, but the curved top and 1932 grille threw me off a bit. Excellent car with a super paint job. I have been a sucker for those dropped front axles since I was a small boy. This car belongs to a doctor, and he told me it was his project to clear his head at night and on the weekends.


     This is the interior of the Model T and it was just as clean as the rest of the car. Check where steering column connects with steering wheel; how different is that? Car was immaculate and was also a winner in this show. Doc left his stethoscope hanging from forward facing camera.
     Thanks for coming along. I have been a dedicated Chevrolet fan since my first car, but I will also be the first to admit that Henry Ford made some excellent cars in the early days. He is the man credited with putting America on wheels. 

No comments:

Post a Comment