Monday, May 27, 2013

1998 Mitsubishi Galant




   Continuing with my parade of automobiles.. When last I updated you I had a 1992 Oldsmobile Toronado (great car). I put almost 125,000 miles on this car and it ran as smooth and quite as the day I purchased it....BUT little things started to wear out. The motor that opened the hidden headlights for instance. I also developed a short somewhere in the electrical system. Lights would go out in various spots and when I would replace that bulb, another would go out in a different spot. When the rotation got around to the glove box light I let it stay burned out until I traded the car off. This was when I discovered that Oldsmobile did not offer the Toronado any longer. I had owned a 1978...1985...and this 1992 Olds Toronado.

   When I started to shop around the dealer told me Toro's were a thing of the past and tried to push an Olds Aurora on me. I didn't like the looks of the Aurora and decided to shop some other brands.
I fell victim to some marketing propaganda and saw a car advertised as 'the poor man's Mercedes.'  It was a Mitsubishi Galant.
    This is the only positive image I have of the Galant, and that is so only because my beautiful wife is protruding through the sun roof of the car. It ran well and had a lot of pep for a small engine and the interior was laid out in a comfortable manner.... BUT..

     We had the Galant for less than a year when Momma told me it had an electrical problem under the dash. I was out on the road in the above truck so I told her to take it by the dealer we bought it from and describe the problem. Maybe it was because she was a woman but she was not satisfied with the results she got from the dealership. The car continued to make crackling noises under the dash and I took it in when I got home. I had a 1998 Chevy Silverado pick-up at the time so we made no demands on the dealer other than fix it. The dealer's shop had the car for two days before returning it to me with the comment, ' We can't find anything wrong with it.'  That night we went out to eat and while driving home the floorboard under the dash lit up with sparks and the smell of burning insulation was extremely strong. The next day I took the car to the dealership and gave them the keys. When the service manager asked me what I wanted him to do with it I told him to shove it up his ass. Of course I did take about a five thousand dollar loss on the car, but I could not comfortably go out on the road and have my wife and youngest daughter ride around in something that unsafe.
    The local Dodge/Plymouth dealer is a longtime friend and he called me about this 1997 Plymouth Breeze. I bought it and Momma loved it. It would be a car that would give us years of dependable service.






1 comment:

  1. “It would be a car that would give us years of dependable service.” – That is absolutely right! Dodge is a very dependable car brand, and the cars themselves. It will never let you down on and off road. And it lasts longer than any other brand does.

    -Rigoberto Axelson @ BrandonDodgeOnBroadWay

    ReplyDelete