Thursday, May 16, 2013

My Last Toronado



   In previous postings I told you I owned a 1978 and a 1985 Oldsmobile Toronado. In 1992 I had a 1988 Cadillac Coupe DeVille but was notified by General Motors the aluminum block engine was faulty. If I would trade it in on another GM product I would receive a full purchase price toward another vehicle. The Caddy had not given me any trouble, but my local dealer was a friend, and he told me it was just a matter of time. Engine blocks were warping under the heads allowing oil and coolant to enter the combustion chamber..(Major Problem)
   General Motors sent me a letter about the problem and I took it and my original purchase agreement to Freeman Oldsmobile in Dallas to change cars again.

   This is what I came home with that day.. Little did I know that 1992 would be the last of Toronadoes... This one had Sand Beige paint on the outside and the leather interior was the same color. The alloy wheels were sharp and I had to use a brush to clean them to keep my hands un-cut. This car had the 3.8 liter V-6 engine and it performed flawlessly for me. I had just read a story in one of the car magazines about the same engine being used in race cars at Indianapolis. Where my '85 Toro had a carburetor on it; the following year all Toro's would be fuel injected. The above car also had a digital dash, all-seasons air-conditioning, and a stereo radio without equal.
   Momma loved this car also. I would spend a couple hours detailing it and she would come home from shopping trips with stories about someone stopping her to inquire on the car. This Toro gave you the feeling about 'closing out' the outside world when you shut the doors. Very solid and extremely quite on the inside. This particular car would give us years of dependable service and when we did trade it off we would regret it for years afterward...

No comments:

Post a Comment