Tuesday, December 29, 2009

First Car in My Life




I have been searching for items to report on
this blog page and thought I would review some
of the cars that I have owned in my lifetime.
This actual car is NOT one that I have owned
but I include the photo merely to show you what
the car looks like.
In the 9th grade I wanted a car extremely bad.
My Dad said NO!! I had a couple of paper routes
and was making some money. I bought a 1946
Ford Coupe that did not have an engine or
transmission in it. It looked a lot like the black
coupe in the photos, but without a front bumper
and hubcaps. A friend of mine that did have
a car helped me tow it home and I parked it in the
back yard behind our workshop. I did small things
like clean the inside to remove all traces of the
previous owner and to start sanding down the
outside. My older brother (who this blog is
dedicated to) had a speedshop just blocks away
and I figured I could talk him out of an engine and
transmission. One of my chores around the house
was to take out the trash each day, and this proved
to be my downfall. While carrying out the trash my
Dad discovered the Coupe in the backyard. I will
never forget his reaction. He asked me, "Was anyone
hurt in that wreck out back?" My brother joined in
and told me if I got rid of the 46 he had a 1950 Ford
Victoria he would give me as a starter car. I only
had the 46 for just over a month,..but it qualifies as
'my very first car'.

No comments:

Post a Comment