Sunday, June 30, 2013

2009 Honda Shadow 750 Spirit




       One of the good things about being so close to the good folks at Texoma Harley-Davidson is I am able to take advantage of some good deals at just the right time. A customer traded in a 2009 Honda Shadow 750 Spirit on a new Harley and I made an offer on his trade-in.... and they accepted.
    
    The Shadow has really been well cared for and the previous owner just installed new tires a couple of months ago. He had no intention of trading bikes, BUT then made the mistake of test riding a new Harley and had to have it. Above is me in the middle and good friends (and HD salesman) Steve on the right..and the vivacious Kim on the left. Both are longtime friends and were excited to see me back on two wheels. I had a stroke in 2009 and the doctor told me to get rid of my Road Glide (see previous posting). It is somewhat easier to get rid of the motorcycle itself rather than the riding bug that remains inside of you. I have been riding since I was fourteen years old and it is not something you can just quit cold turkey.

      Momma wasn't taking any chances as she purchased a gremlin bell before we left the dealership. The bells are suppose to ward off evil spirits and demons, and keep you safe on the highways and byways,...but I had a bell on my Nightrain in 2005 when some dizzy blonde ran a stop sign and hit me (see previous posting). I have been without a bike since I sold my Sportster last summer.
       This was my 2005 HD Sportster that I sold in August of 2012. It was a good ride for local events and the Shadow reminds me of the Sportster a lot. The Honda is shaft drive instead of a belt, and the transmission shifts a lot smoother & quieter than the Sportster. Both are comparable in size and performance but I think the Honda might have a little more low end torque. As you can see by the above photo, I spent quite a bit on accessories to make the Sportster a one-of-a-kind bike. I posted photos on Craig's List and a young man from Mansfield, Texas came all the way to Denison to purchase it.
      My wife has been hinting that I should buy another bike, and this one seemed to be too good to pass up. It rides like a dream and so far I am really impressed with its performance. The add-ons such as windshield, engine bar, saddlebags, and Cobra exhaust are easily a thousand dollars.
     The previous owner even admitted to his salesman he had put new tires on the Shadow two months ago since he was not planning on making a change...but then he rode that Harley and lost all of his resistance. I don't have any plans to make an extended trip on this bike, but I do plan to get in some runs around town just to get that 'wind in my face' feeling again.
      I thought I was over my motorcycle days, so I sold my helmet, leathers, rain-gear, and a hell of a lot of accessories I had in the garage. This photo was taken as I was about to ride to a store in Sherman for a new helmet. Since that accident in 2005 I have promised Momma I would wear one. I may have a different opinion after the newness wears off, but right now I am impressed with the Honda and have hopes for a long and lasting relationship..




No comments:

Post a Comment