Saturday, June 8, 2013

Harley-Davidson Road Glide




   In 2006 I had just sold my Nightrain and wanted a touring bike to go on trips with friends. The Nightrain was a custom one-of-a-kind bike and was a veteran of many shows where I came home with the blue ribbon or winner's plaque. In 2005 a woman ran a stop sign and struck me on the rear wheel of the Nightrain, causing some damage to the bike and major damage to me. Like many times in the past, I healed, but rather slower than I remember in the past. Her insurance company guy came to my house to inform me all hospital bills and replacement costs to the bike would be covered. I tried to make sure the Nightrain was as good as ever. The second photo was taken after repairs had been made.

       Top photo is two weeks after the accident when my left eye had re-opened after being shut from the fractured skull.. It took seventeen stitches to close the gash. I also lost two teeth in the crash, and had to wait six months for swelling to go down so new teeth could be installed.
    Back to the original story...  I sold the Nightrain and had a pocket full of money to buy me a touring bike. I visited a couple of other Harley-Davidson dealers and got some ideas on what I wanted. I had taken an Ultra-Classic and an Electra-Glide out on test rides, but I didn't like the buffeting both exhibited from car and truck traffic on the highway. When I tried a Road Glide I knew I had found my bike. The shark-nose front end cuts thru the air and provides a smoother ride, even when behind big trucks on the highway.

      I made my purchase at Texoma HD and they quoted me a price three-thousand dollars less than two other dealers. The only option I ordered was for the sissy bar and luggage rack. We made a trip to Sturgis and one to Fredericksburg in just this configuration. I admit we looked like the Beverly Hillbillies with stuff held to the sissy bar with bungie cords, but what the hell, we were having fun.

     Within the first two weeks I changed the exhaust system to a 'Rollin Thunder' system. It sounded similar to the Screamin' Eagle pipes, but a lot lower growl to it. I could also feel an increase in power from the new pipes. Texoma HD had to re-program the injector system after the new exhaust and K&N air filter. It was definitely distinctive and just about everyone asked about it and how they could get one. I also was having second thoughts about the luggage rack and decided to add a trunk.

      The trunk was not a Harley-Davidson brand but I got a good price on it and I painted it the same 'Cobalt Blue' as the bike. I painted the silver accent line on the trunk to match the rest of the bike,..BUT also added an orange pin-striping to the top & bottom of the silver to make it different from other Road Glides the same color. Check the bottom of the saddlebags!!

     I took the bags to Mickey at Vida Loca in Bonham, Texas and let her do her magic on them. I told her I wanted skulls and she asked, "How many?"  I said you're the expert, do what you want. She air-brushed seven skulls on each side and no two skulls are the same. Some are profiles while others are straight on..some even have bullet holes in them. If you need airbrush work I HIGHLY recommend her work. She is a gifted artist!!

     I also went crazy with the HD skull series of chrome. I had the skulls on the air-cleaner..cam cover... primary cover...passenger floorboards...gas cap..and the back of the sissy bar before the trunk was installed. Bottom photo is Momma and I waving at our youngest daughter... No we are not shooting her the finger!
     My favorite photo of the Road Glide! I had just installed a rack on the top of the trunk and was testing it for rattles. This was indeed a great bike and served me well for over two years. I had a stroke in 2009 and the doctor told me to give up motorcycles. Texoma HD found me a buyer for the bike and I still see it from time to time. The new owner does not take anywhere as good of care as I did with this bike and it now has some scratches where he has dropped it....BUT it is not mine now and I have to move on.....







No comments:

Post a Comment