Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Halloween 1990




    In 1990 I had been dating my wife for just over a year and we were extremely close (wink-wink) by this time in our relationship. The previous year we had dressed up as George and Martha Washington for Halloween and were the hit of various parties we visited that night. Some people thought we looked more like the First Family than the real Washington's. I was still working in television news at the time so my wife-to-be was responsible for our entire costumes.
     This is the way we looked in 1989 and looked dashing, if I do say so. One hour before this photo I was doing a live sportscast from a local football game and had no idea what lay in store for me. I arrived at her house and she had everything prepared for me. All I had to do was step into the clothes and she did my make-up and wig.
   Friends that saw us in 1989 were curious how we were going to outdo the Washington outfits in 1990. I have always liked the pirates of the 17th century, so I mentioned it to Momma as she began to formulate what we would do for Halloween of 1990.
     Again, I had to work the late news on TV this night, and when I showed up for the preparations this is what I discovered. I would be Long John Silver and she would be my parrot. Note the parrot is tethered to the hook of Long John. My costume is simply a makeover of the previous year; the pants are the same and the coat has been altered...But her outfit was totally handmade one feather at a time.
     She used a hot glue gun and attached each feather to her outfit one at a time. Needless to say, she has the patience of Jobe. I would have gone crazy before I finished the head-piece...and this is just the front.
     The tail of the parrot is also a work of art (you know what I mean). She had secretly been working on this outfit for over a month and again was the hit of all the parties we attended. Friends had to come and touch her outfit to discover the feathers were real and not just some store-bought costume. She may be one of the most gifted people I know.
  
  This was taken when we arrived at Linda Hamilton's home and she is a longtime friend of us both. I still remember her scream when she opened the front door. She said, "Don't move until I get my camera." Linda worked at the TV station with me and was sort of a sister to me. She would advise me on different women I dated through the years. When I finally discovered this one, Linda was constantly harping on me NOT to let this one get away... I didn't.
      We have both really loved Halloween over the years and enjoy dressing up. I missed some Halloween's over the years due to my travels, but 1990 was definitely one to remember..  In closing, remember the favorite line of most pirates.... ARGHHHH!





No comments:

Post a Comment