Saturday, June 29, 2013

Stern-Wheel Paddle Boat




       2007 was a hot summer in Texas, so Momma  and I wanted to go somewhere cool. She has never been on a stern-wheel paddle boat so I told her to find one via the computer. The General Jackson is based in Nashville, Tennessee and that is where we headed on vacation that year.
      Actually there are numerous paddle-wheel boats in Nashville but the General Jackson was the first one Momma located on the computer and that is where we ended up. The General Jackson was built in the 1870's and has a complete restaurant onboard,..but we decided to have our lunch on the veranda overlooking the stern-wheel.

       This is Momma on the veranda and pointing out the spray of water coming off the stern-wheel. It was definitely a cooling spray but I also enjoyed a couple of frozen Margaritas to make sure I eliminated a sweaty brow. The General Jackson also has cabins for those wishing to take an overnight venture down the Cumberland River. 
      Momma went up one deck to shoot this photo of me below. You can see the paddle-wheel just below the canopy. Also check another pleasure boat about a mile back of us. 
     The boats are based right in the downtown area of Nashville and the whole experience was good. The ships and docking area was clean and well kept. I took this photo from the deck of the General Jackson as we passed another boat stopped at the dock. Nashville is also home to the Country Music Hall of Fame, the Grand Old Opery, and many more interesting stops.
       On the way home we stopped off in Memphis to see if Elvis was home,..but he wasn't. We were going to take the tour of Graceland but one of the staff jumped us for simply taking the above photo. They wanted me to pay for posing my wife in front of this sign. I got into a squabble over the marital status of his mother, but Momma pulled me away before it got physical. The trip overall was a big success and we had fun.....



No comments:

Post a Comment