Sunday, July 19, 2009

Rollin' Stone





I mentioned earlier this blog is dedicated to the
memory of my brother, Carl. He was a world-class
drag racer and one of the founding members of the
National Hot Rod Association. Earlier I also mentioned
he was a National Champion in 1957 driving a street
roadster.
My brother was one of those that once he achieved
something, he immediately looked for a new challenge.
After winning the National Championship at the roadster
level he moved on to Altered Roadsters. The altereds
differ from the regular roadsters in that the rules allow
you to move the engine up to 25 per cent of the total
wheel base of the car. These cars have a short wheel base
to start with, and when you move the engine back you
get something that is extremely hard to steer. When
they come off the starting line it is always in a wheel
stand with the car looking up at a 35 degree angle.
When he decided to move on to Funny Cars I was one
of the happiest members of the crew. We had a little
too much common sense to stay in the Altered Class
for very long. Those cars are akin to playing Russian
Roulette with an automatic....Eventually someone is
going to get hurt......

1 comment:

  1. Just wanted to say hello. Spoke with my uncle last night. He pulled out some pictures of carl and himself and their cars. Man they did alot. He is almost 80 now. He really lit up when I showed him some pictures I have found. The altered car shown at Green Valley in 62. He remembers it very well. Any information you could give me about him would be greatly appreciated.

    ReplyDelete