Friday, July 24, 2009

Rollin' Stone Coupe ??


This is a continuing reminder this blog is
dedicated to the memory of Carl Stone, my
older brother and my idol as I grew up.
There is a car that we built that I do not
have a single photo of, but I do have one of
a model that my wife painted to replicate it.
I had a real admiration for the Gas Coupe car
of the team of Stone, Woods, and Cook. Some
people thought that Stone was my brother, but
that was not the case.
In the early 1970's we built a 1941 Willys Coupe
and of course it was painted purple, my brothers
favorite color. It was powered by a 330 cubic
inch Chevrolet engine, Jahns racing pistons, a
Chet Herbert cam, Corvette heads with the big
valves, and a GMC 671 Blower with injectors.
The transmission was a Borg-Warner T-220
close ration 4-speed, and a quick change rear
end with 588 gears. God,..it was fun to drive,
but my brother hated it because of the heavy
body. It ran on pump gasoline and went thru
the quarter in the 10 second range at about
180 miles per hour. Nothing to brag about, but
it was a consistent winner at Cedar Hill and
Green Valley. I loved it because I got to drive
it most of the time while my brother turned the
wrenches and enjoyed a beer with some friends.
It was a car that did not have a long life with
the Stone Brothers,..but it was fun while it
lasted..

No comments:

Post a Comment